This meal is packed with flavor, and is healthier than your average chicken pot pie! I’ve removed the crust completely, added a ton of veggies, and kicked up the heat! And of course, as is with all my recipes, you can adjust this recipe to your taste!
Ingredients for Chicken Pot Pie Filling:
- 1-2lbs of boneless skinless chicken breast
- 8-10 springs fresh thyme
- salt (to taste)
- 1T butter
- 1T olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- you could also use a couple small cans of jalapenos, and each person can add how much they want to their bowl and they’re dishing it out!
- 1-2t sazon seasoning (to taste)
- 8 cloves of garlic, chopped and divided in half
- 1/2t ground cumin
- black pepper (to taste)
- frozen peas, corn, onion, red pepper, black beans
- I’ve used canned and fresh…if using fresh onion, and red pepper start these before you add the canned/frozen veggies.
- 2-5T flour (this depends on how much liquid you have in the pan!)
- 1-1.5c of milk
- Poach or sous vide the chicken with 2/3rds of the thyme, half the garlic, and a pinch of salt.
- If you’ve never poached chicken, take a deep breath. This isn’t scary. You ready? Put the thyme and a pinch of salt in a pot. Add water…just enough to cover the chicken and a little more. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken. Put a lid on it and bring it back to a boil.
- Immediately remove it from the stove.
- Walk away. Seriously. Don’t touch it! Just leave it on the counter. It’ll be fine for up to an hour.
- In a saute pan add the butter and olive oil with the rest of the garlic, the jalapeno (if using fresh jalapeno…also if you’re using fresh red pepper and onions, add those now as well!) Also add the rest of the thyme, the sazon, cumin and a pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper. (You should be adding a bit of salt every time you add veggies or meat to a dish. Unless you have kidney disease, high blood pressure, and a few other diseases. Those of us with these issues need to be careful with the salt…use fresh veggies then and not canned. That will cut out massive amounts of salt!)
- Saute until the garlic is fragrant. Its usually 4-6 minutes.
- Add the rest of the veggies.
- Remember the chicken in that flavored water over there? Get a little scoop of the water. You want about 1/4c of the poaching liquid. Add that to the veggie mix.
- Turn it up to high(ish) so it starts to steam. Stir regularly…like every couple minutes…until the veggies are cooked. 6-10 minutes
- Add in the flour, in small bits, stirring to combine after each sprinkle.
- Add the milk. You want this mixture to simmer and thicken. (about 5 minutes) If its too thick, add more milk. If its not thick enough, well, I’d recommend a corn starch slurry. That’s cornstarch, warm water, mix it together, add it to the pot and bring to almost a boil.
- Serve with biscuits (for those who want the carbs), low fat sour cream, fresh or pickled jalapenos, or, my favorite, crispy jalapenos!
There you go! Southern Chicken Pot Pie, full of flavor, not full of carbs!
Leave a Reply